Jesus give the Great commission: Matt 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24 :47
What is the Gospel?
The good news about Jesus:- 1 Cor 15:1-4; God's power to save Rom 1:16.
It has to be Heard, Romans 10:10-17 and Faith confessed
I. The gospel first preached in Jerusalem, then Samaria and all the world, Acts 1:8
Essentials to salvation: Acts 2:22-36.
a. Faith, believing that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. Mark 16:15-16
b. Repentance, see Luke 24:47
c. Baptism, see Matt 28:19
II. Eight examples from Acts
1. Pentecost. Acts 2:37-39. Believers told to Repent and be Baptised.
2. Samaritans Acts 8:12 Believed and were Baptised
3. Ethiopian Treasurer Acts 8:26-39. Believed and was Baptised
4. Cornelius (and his household). Acts 10:47-48 Baptised
5. Lydia (and her household). Acts 16:14-15 Baptised
6. Jailor in Philippi and his household) Acts 16:25-36. Believed and Baptised v33-34
7. Corinthians, Acts 18:8. Heard, Believed and were Baptised
8. Saul of Tarsus. Acts 22:6-16; see Acts 9:1-18. Believed 9::18-20 Baptised 22:16
III. Faith requires Obedience
Acts 6:7; James 2:18-20; 2 Thess 1:5-10, Hebrews 5:9
See the example of obedience of Abraham in James 2:18-24; (Heb 11:8-10) His faith had to be an obedient faith to God's commands to be justified, he was not justified by faith alone.
Those that were being saved were added to the church, Acts 2:41,47; 4:7; 5:14; 6:17.
Appendix on Ephesians 2: 8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God" (ESV)
Grace is God's gift to us, Ephesians 2:5.
Faith is Man's response to hearing the word of God Romans 10:17. see Acts 11:14.
Salvation (eternal life) is the gift of God, Romans 6:23. 1:16.
Baptism "Now saves you ... as an appeal to God for a good conscience through the
resurrection of Jesus Christ", 1 Peter 3:21.
Romans 6:1-6 In baptism we bury the "old life" to be resurrected (raised) to "new life".
The new life comes after baptism not before it.